Friday, September 23, 2011

The End to An Era

Little fact you may or may not know about me:
I watch(ed) All My Children.
I am not proud of it, but I have been watching on and off since I was 4 years old.
Since I got DVR a few years ago, I have been watching religiously.

On my days off, I look forward to getting the kids down for naps/quiet time, making my lunch, and sitting down for some quiet time with All My Children. It's my 1 hour (45 minutes if recorded) of "me time."

A couple of months ago when I started hearing the rumors that they were ending the show, I felt a little relief..."I can actually be productive during nap time now!"

But then I started thinking about what memories the show brings back for me.

I have memories of watching it daily with my mom.
(I look back now and can't believe she let me watch that crap at such a young age!)

I also have memories of watching it at Grandma and Grandpa Heiden's house.
They would make sandwiches, grab some chips, and a Diet Coke, and sit down for an hour to "enjoy" the show. I can still hear my grandfather, yes I said grandfather, yelling at the TV, "Damnit Dixie! What are you doing?!" 

At Grandma and Grandpa Ed's house it was a little different...the show was on the big old TV in the kitchen.  We would sit at the kitchen table there and watch it while we ate lunch.

With 3 of my 4 grandparents now gone, these memories take me back to my childhood and some of the wonderful times I spent with them.

I must admit that it's not all about the memories of time spent with my family...I have memories of Cliff and Nina, Jenny and Greg (whom were on in 1983!) Ryan and Greenlee, Haley and Matteo...probably tied for my favorite all-time couples. It's crazy to look back at Tad, Jessie, and Angie (who were probably in their early 20's when I started watching) and see them in their 50's now.

I know, I know, judge me if you will.

When I was at the grocery store last week and saw this on the News-stand...I deliberated. I am not one to spend $12 on a magazine. I am also not one to keep things forever. But Dominic said to me, "Mom, you have to buy this! You'll have it forever!"


He was right...I will probably have it forever.


I will also hold dear the memories of the show as well as the memories it brings along with it...forever.

No, I will not be following the internet version that will continue.
It's time to say "Goodbye."

(Ok, I'll probably take a little peek!)

2 comments:

  1. You are a true AMC fan. I remember when Jenny died (or was it Greg?) I bawled during the funeral. I must have been five! And I was happy to watch the last episode and see Jessie and Angie. I remember the first time he died.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha!! LOVE it! How is it that many of our childhoods were spent watching All My Children??? Ahhh, the memories!

    ReplyDelete