Thursday, October 13, 2011

Applesauce

I have lots and lots of apples from our trip to Apple Hill and I have yet to make pies :(
My poor lonely apples are just sitting in the bottom drawer of my refrigerator crying out to be coated in cinnamon and sugar and be baked in some yummy pie crust.
But I also had a bunch sitting on my counter that needed to be tended to.
And Tuesday just happened to be, in my opinion, perfect applesauce-making-weather!
Emma Kate was napping and Connor had come home from school. It was a cloudy, kinda dreary day.

So we set to work.

First we washed them.


Then we set up the apple peeler, slicer, corer. If you don't have one of these and you plan to do anything..."apple"...GET ONE!! It is awesome!


And the best part...not only can the kids help...but they have so much fun doing it.
(Even Dom likes to help with this part.)


I filled a bowl with water and a dab of lemon juice to try to keep the apples from turning color. 


We loaded them in a pot with a little water and let them bubble for about 25-30 mins, covered, stirring occasionally.


This is what they looked like toward the end...


After they were all nice and soft (and my house smelled heavenly,) we added brown sugar, nutmeg, and cinnamon to taste. Yup! Lots of tasting!


And here ya go!


Connor and I were so proud that we served it with dinner that night!
I have never made applesauce before. To some...no big deal! To me...BIG DEAL!
I also love that Connor got to be a part of the whole process...from picking them off the tree, washing, peeling, cooking...and finally...eating. Mmmm.

2 comments:

  1. Homemade applesauce is the best!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so domestic!

    :)

    I bet your house smelled AMAZING while they were cooking!

    ReplyDelete